Education in Great Britain ? Education is compulsory from the age of 5 (4 in Northern Ireland) to the age of 16.
Publié le 05/04/2015
Extrait du document
ren study English, M athe matics, Science , Inf orm ation technolo gy,
ory, Geog raphy , Mo dern foreign languag es, Art, Music, Phy sical Education
nd religio us Education.
In Great Britain pa rents ha ve a choice b et ween State schools an d In depend ent schools.
State schools ar e scho ols run by th e g ov ern ment.
The y a re financed b y p ublic funds: t he money com es fro m the n ational a nd local taxes .In depend ent schools , als o called "public schools " are pri vate , expensi ve a nd elitist.
Their tradition al va lues a re ve ry strict.
These fee-pay ing schools also called pr epar atory schools pr epar e child ren for the Com mon Entrance Examin ation set by the independe nt schools.
M ost Ind epende nt schools a re bo arding sc hools.
The mo st fam ous ar e Rug by, Har row, Wincheste r, and Eton.
9 5% of p are nts pre fer State p rima ry schools whilst onl y 5% pref er In depend ent schools.
M ost sc hools in England require child ren to wear a sc hool u nifor m ( nor mall y w ith a lo go on th e cardi gan or jumper wh ich is sp ecial to that p articula r school ).
Y SCHOOL The
usual age for tr ansfer from pri mary school to seconda ry sc hool is 11 (1 2 in
ary schools pro vide co mpulso ry e ducation for child ren bet ween the
ges 11 to 16.O
ve r 85% of sec ondary school pu pils attend C
omprehen sive schools .
mpre hensiv e schools are state scho ols, no n-selecti ve, free and co- e
They are of ten ve ry large schools.
Co mpre hensiv e scho ols w ere in troduc ed in 19 65.
The idea o f this fo rm of e ducation, supp orted b y the Labo ur Part y, was to gi ve all c hildren of w hateve r b ackgrou nd the same opportunity in educ ation.
Ther e are also Grammar sch ools .
These a re selective.
Entr ance is bas ed o n a test of ability .
Children ent er Gra mma r sch ools o n th e b asis of thei r a bilities, fi rst sittin g th e 1 1+ o r e ntra nce e xaminati on.
Up until th e1970 's ev ery c hild in England a nd Wales ha d to sit the 11+exa mination to d eter mine wh ich ty pe of seco ndary sc hool they would go to once th ey had left th eir prim ary school.
Those who pass ed the e xam successfully w ent to G ram mar sc hool.
Nowada ys onl y a few will take the exa m.Ther e can be state or indep endent sc hools.. »
↓↓↓ APERÇU DU DOCUMENT ↓↓↓
- Canadian Architecture I INTRODUCTION L'Anse aux Meadows In around ad 1000 Norse Vikings sailed from Greenland to North America and set up a village on the tip of what is now the island of Newfoundland's Great Northern Peninsula.
- Victoria (queen) I INTRODUCTION Victoria (queen) (1819-1901), queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1837-1901) and empress of India (1876-1901).
- Ne pas confondre Grande Bretagne et Royaume Uni Great Britain Great Britain is made up of: England - The capital is London.
- Founder State of the Commonwealth, the United Kingdom comprises England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- At the end of 1994, the opening of negotiations between Ireland and the United Kingdom about the autonomy of Northern Ireland marked a development in a situation deadlocked since 1920, the date of partition by the British into Catholic majority Ireland and Protestant majority Northern Ireland.